Using Telephones in Mexico
Unless it is an emergency, it is not advised to make phone calls from your hotel room. An exorbitant hotel phone bill can leave a blemish on even the most pleasant of vacations. A 5 minute phone call can cost you US $25.
Pre-paid phone cards for Mexico
If you are a temporary visitor your best option is to purchase a pre-paid Telmex phone card. Many people have found that US and Canadian calling cards or long distance services do not work from Mexico, but Telmex USA cards are issued by the only telephone company in Mexico, so they will work. The Telmex Traveler Phone Card is the prepaid phone card from Telmex USA that allows you to call from Mexico to the U.S., Canada and the rest of the world at competitive rates. The Telmex Traveler Phone Card works from any touchtone phone by dialing a toll free access number, your PIN and it is supported by bilingual personal assistance 24 hours a day.
Calling Mexico from the United States
To call from the United States to Mexico, one must dial 011-52, the city area code, followed by the seven-digit local Phone number.
To call the number 684-5555 in Mexico from The United States, dial 011(international access code) + 52(Mexico's country code) + (City area code) + 684-5555 (Phone number you are trying to reach).
Calling from Mexico to Any Part of the World
Calls from Mexico to any part of the world can be made from any telephone that can access "lada" or the country phone code.
* U.S.A.: 001 + area code + 6 or 7 digit number
* Mexico: 01 + area code + 7 digit number
* Rest of the world: 001 + country code + number
* For International Long Distance dial: 00 + country code + city code + number
* Operator Assisted Long Distance phone calls: Within Mexico dial 020, International dial 090
* For collect calls to the U.S.A dial: 091 +city code + number (020 or 090 for operator assistance)
For local information (bilingual operator) dial: 040